I took the day off yesterday to do whatever I wanted. That mostly turned in to updating my Goodreads account and craft projects. I decided, in my typical OCD way, that I should actually list the projects I'm working on right now. Boy, was that a mistake... but one I'm happy to share for commiseration purposes!
First, I forgot to post yesterday that I did end up repairing the dog blanket last month. The replacement batting and patching I had in mind worked out pretty well. It's not elegant, but then again it's for my dogs. They seem happy to have their comfy blanket back and I'm happy to be done with another project.
This leaves me with 17 projects at various stages. Yeah, that number's not a typo. Shh, don't tell my husband! Especially since he said something the other day about not needing to go back to a fabric store for a few years...
Without further ado, my list of projects (1-6 are current; 7-13 are doable but not started; 14+ need something):
- Placemats - Found some cute blue gingham at the $1 fat quarter sale. With the addition of some even cheaper red gingham, it will make 8 double-sided placemats. Everything's cut, I just need to pin, sew, and iron.
- Cloth Napkins - Coordinating yellow starburst/flower pattern to make napkins to go with the placemats. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of fabric needed for this and actually have to go back to Hancock for another yard. Who knew cloth napkins ranged from 16 - 21 inches square?!? I discovered yesterday that this may be a good test run project for my new serger!
- Picnic Bench Cushions - Blue leafy fabric I found back when we lived in Vegas (no comments on how long ago that was...). The pieces are cut, the batting is cut, the straps are made (that was a pain); one cushion is even basted. Just need to install that walking foot on my sewing machine and get going!
- Memory Game - Made some progress on this last night. Interfacing is all cut out, felt is all cut (including frames). Now I need to start cutting squares of fabric to insert.
- Baby Quilt - It's really a twin size quilt, which turns out to be a good thing. Apparently all the crafty people in my family decided that making blankets for baby would be a great idea! Plus, the 20+ receiving blankets we received as gifts are likely another craft project in the making. They are all super cute but at least the quilt I make will be big enough to be useful for a long time.
- Dragon & Castle (cross-stitch) - I've been working on this one off-and-on for over 4 years. Just getting it set up to work on is time consuming. It is a huge design and I'm probably 60% done.
- PJs/Sleeper - Have the fabric (teddy bear fleece!) & pattern & notions & thread. Just need to cut it all out and sew it together.
- Gift for my sister-in-law - This is a stamped cross-stitch project kit, the first one I've ever done (the other type is counted and that's what I learned when I was young). Not sure if she reads this blog or not; if not, pics may be coming after I start.
- Crib Bumpers - I got the pattern from my mom and discovered last night that I may not have enough fabric (whoops!). I based my cut size on another pattern I saw in a store, so I might just go back and get that one. Once I decide what to do about that, it's cut and sew.
- Clothing Repairs - Ugh. What uninspiring sewing. I think I need a basket, like my friend Jen suggested. I need this more out of the way than I need it done right now.
- Christmas Ornaments - Another cross-stitch project. Each of these takes me 4-6 hours to do, so it's a good car-ride/TV-watching type project. I make at least one for us every year plus a few for family/friends, but I'm running out of kits (only 5 left). I haven't been able to find any at all the last two Christmases, so if anyone sees these (they generally run $1-2), please let me know!
- Hand Towel - Cross-stitch pattern that took me longer than I estimated. I intended to make 2... one is done and given to my sister as a wedding gift... now I need to finish the matching one. Whoops.
- Baby's 1st Christmas Ornament - Yeah, started this cross-stitch kit when I was 9... as in, for my new baby sister. She's in high school now, so I should probably convert that to my baby's instead. It would definitely take me less time now than it did then!
- Bear Cross-stitch - Picked out the pattern, need to order it. This is going in the baby's room... should probably get on that!
- Curtains #1 - For that same sister, actually. Still need the dimensions of her closet since she hasn't sent them yet!
- Curtains #2 - Not sure if this is still valid. I got fabric to make curtains for our house in Vegas and did about half of them before we moved. Still have the fabric (and the curtains) but they don't fit this house at all.
- Curtains #3 - These were for curtain sheers at the house in Vegas (it's very sunny there). Never made any of them, but they might be retrofitted to another purpose through the sheer amount of fabric I have.
That's a lot and it makes me want to dive in and sew! I also discovered that I have 9 fabrics with no plans. I thought of uses for a couple, but still at a loss for the others. It's good to have options, right?
Ever discover that you have more going on that you realized? How do you handle the overflow?